Since everyone hates or ought to hate cold calling there is another option… Send a letter of introduction.
Sales representatives will find ANYTHING else to do besides cold calling. Unless you have a very good list to call off of it is hard to remain productive as a group and the reps will quickly become disinterested.
There is an option, when you send a personalized letter of introduction with a specific call to action in it then all of the sudden your cold call becomes a warm call.
Or at least that is what you can call it… a warm call. Your sales representatives will determine how warm the call really is. However your professional sales representatives will take this tried and true method of getting to 1st base seriously and begin the sales process right there.
The letter must state:
- Who you are…
- “My name is David Peterson, I am a sales representative for XYX Corporation.”
- Who your company is…
- “The XYX Corporation is a major player in the ABC industry, perhaps you have heard of us?”
- Why you are writing them…
- “The reason for this letter is that I wanted to introduce myself to you and I think that I have uncovered an opportunity for both of us to succeed.”
- Call to action, or next step…
- “I will be calling you in the next week to discuss these opportunities.”
This is a very simple way to get your sales reps past the problem and stigma of cold calling by providing them with a list that they know #1 it is to their target market, especially since you spent the money to produce the mailing and #2 The prospect should be expecting a call.
Simple and effective. Give it a try both your sales reps and your prospects may enjoy the whole process just a little bit more.